Additional Pages

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Redpoll and Siskins welcome in 2013

With a sunny welcome to the New Year, I resolved to immediately thrash the patch and take the advantage for a much needed long walk. Taking in the less visited north side of the patch proved rewarding, with c10 Yellowhammers around one of the Stubble fields and at least as many Skylarks.
Back over on the more frequented side, it looked like a flock of c30 Siskins feeding at times quite low and close was going to be the main reward.
 With the fishing pool devoid of much avian action, I turned my attention to the adjacent stubble field where a dozen or so Chaffinch were scrutinised. I then realized deeper into the field there were 14 Redwing and an among them an equal number of Mistle Thrushes. These Redwings were a real bonus,I  just don't get decent numbers like this on the patch often. I then became aware that some Goldfinches had put down in the tree overhead, but when I investigated further, I was chuffed to see that there were 16 Lessser Redpoll among them, actually making up the bulk of the flock ! With these being pretty low in number locally this winter, the fact they showed so well, and in good light was a real bonus, just a shame I had left the camera at home ! 30 species seen, with the pool being deserted and only 1 raptor seen. Still a quality start to the birding year on the patch though

No comments:

Post a Comment